Question: Share a story about how you overcame a learning challenge. Why was it a challenge? What strategies did you use? Use the language you learned in this unit.

Learning is a required course of life, learning to speak, walk, read, and work; from birth to death, humans uphold a dialect: never too old to learn. Therefore, I believe everyone has many experiences related to learning. I want to share a story about myself. Last year, I applied for a nail salon. Although I had no skills and experience in this field, the boss still gave me the opportunity and taught me how to do nails step by step. Unlike textbook knowledge, for manicurists, hands-on skills are more important than theoretical knowledge. This learning experience should be the most significant learning challenge I have faced in recent years. I fully understand the theory of nail art and can remember every step well, but once I start practicing, I get all messed up and confused. Nail designing is not a job that one can master well just by reciting, reading, and understanding. It requires a lot of time and practice. But as novices, few guests are willing to be “guinea pigs.” Therefore, I suffered a lot during that learning period and even faced a dilemma, not knowing how to learn. But I was fortunate to meet my “Learning Designers.” They are my colleagues. In addition to the basic theoretical knowledge the boss gave, they found my mistakes in doing nails and taught me complementary skills based on their personal experience. And they are strict with my every step. This method is very suitable for me because, in my view, it is a more down-to-earth method compared to relevant theory teaching. Their experiences and corresponding personal skills greatly help me familiarize myself with this job. Generally speaking, during the study for this job, the strategy I use is cognitivism.